I've moved to oliverthring.com. You should be linked automatically: if not - click here.

11/05/2009

Tomato Salad [Recipe]


Edible proof that summer's here.

I saw and immediately pounced on these beautiful Isle of White tomatoes at the Real Food Festival. In winter, fresh tomatoes in English shops are flavourless balls of wool, so I make do with tinned. This is a wonderful reminder what we've been missing all these months.

I don't believe tomato salad should be mucked around with, but some torn buffalo mozzarella or a few curls of Parma ham would be delicious here. Some people add raw onion, garlic, capers, black olives and herbs like oregano and parsley, but I have to say I prefer it as simple and pure as this.

Serves 2

Ingredients

Three biggish, very ripe tomatoes, in different varieties or colours if you can get them
Extra virgin olive oil
Red wine vinegar
Sea salt
Pepper
Basil leaves

Remove the stalks from the tomatoes and cut into 5mm slices. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and a tablespoon of red wine vinegar, then drizzle generously with the olive oil. Scatter over the basil leaves and serve.

3 comments:

  1. I usually add really, really thinly sliced red onion to mine. So delicious with some fresh bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lizzie. It's a personal thing. Sometimes onion's lovely, of course: I just think that for the first tomatoes of the year, it's a joy to eat them as simply as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just about my favourite type of salad

    ReplyDelete