I've moved to oliverthring.com. You should be linked automatically: if not - click here.

24/06/2009

Le Vacherin, Chiswick, London

Le Vacherin

★★★★★

If ever they come for me in the middle of the night – figures round the bed, door in splinters, torchlights red on sweaty face – I know what I’ll fight them for. I know what’ll get me wriggling and writhing, the thought that’ll fling me out the door, unshod, to curses and flurry. (Admittedly, as this blog continues, the only part of me capable of producing any movement is my bowel, but that’s beside the point.) What is it?

Bistro.

Richer, tastier, bistro best. The elemental warmth of lobster bisque, the saucy soul of coq au vin. Pork baked in milk, clafoutis pocked with cherries, a benchmark moules - I’d fight them on the beaches for it.

But that’s the French for you. Whatever barnacle-nosed colonels harrumph into their port, the French are better than the English at everything. Their cities are more beautiful, they’ve got beaches and ski slopes and space, they’ve got Zidane and we’ve got Rooney, they’ve got a national cinema and we’ve got Richard Curtis. They’re better looking, they work less, and they live longer. And we all know they eat better. Britons survive on curly fries, Frijj and unsweetened apology: the French eat brioche. Don’t talk to me about service, either. For every supercilious garçon I’ve done battle with, I’ve faced two nose-ringed trollops dropping the plates and flobbing in the minestrone.

Now London has some decent British restaurants, most of which suckled at the teat of St. John. (Which is not a phrase you’ll read in the Catholic Encyclopaedia.) For the most part, though, our cooking is a stay-at-home girl, shredding her suet by the whisper of the Aga and the fart of the Labrador. Like everything in Britain, the best and most interesting food remains aspiced in class, primly reserved for metropolitan sorts who’ll eat a Mrs King pork pie or pay seven quid for bone marrow and parsley salad. In France, it’s different. There’s self-assured pride – often mistaken for arrogance – in a national granary of dishes, which everybody knows and which you can eat throughout the country. Food remains the bottom-up, bottoms-up bedrock of their culture, and they’re richer for it.

Le Vacherin – for all that its chef is British – is proof enough of French superiority. It’s an outstanding restaurant serving considered bistro fare with panache, confidence and honesty – clubbable, composed and as unpretentious as a skip. I took my friend Cargy for a long lunch, unaware that on Sundays, it’s prix fixe only. (A bizarre policy – I’m invariably coaxed in by set lunches but veer onto the à la carte within moments of arriving.) It’s in Chiswick, which sounds like it might as well be Vladivostock, but is only an anvil’s throw from Hammersmith.

£19.50 gets you three courses. I start with a junipery morteau sausage with lentils, the pig given life by the pulse (droll, that one). It’s rustic in a polished sort of way. Cargy has a stellar pork rillette, the lightest I’ve ever tasted. There’s a lid of set fat which she detaches to limit her lard intake – though I finish it – and some cornichons to bring vital acidity. Rabbit in mustard sauce is faultless – toothsome clumps of bunny falling from spindly bones. A green salad crunches with endive, bitter as Al Gore, and there’s a firm, pearly piece of sea bream, cloyed by a slightly over-rich lobster sauce. For puddings, a haughty île flottante, the whites not dissimilar to candyfloss, in a custard haunted with vanilla. Last, an exquisite apple tatin to share, the pastry flaked with jammy gooeyness, the prim fruit carrying just a little, welcome bite.

Now it’s true that I’ve only been once, for the lunch deal. And if I’d come for a midweek dinner, and spent £18 on lamb navarin with boulangères, I’d have judged the place by different standards. But I ate what I ate here, and I paid what I paid – and on that basis, this was my best London meal so far this year.

We took our wine outside, as people bronzed on Turnham Green and the sun stood poised in the evening sky. It’s wrong, two-and-two-is-five-wrong, to dismiss or patronise Le Vacherin as a neighbourhood restaurant. If it were in Chelsea, it would be more famous and the tables would be harder to get. But it isn’t, which is why you can get three delicious courses for 20 quid. And that’s the reason you should go there this Sunday.



Le Vacherin, 76-77 South Parade London, London W4
Tel. +44 (0)20 8742 2121

See on the Map


Sunday lunch for two, excluding drinks and service, costs £39

Le Vacherin on Urbanspoon

www.levacherin.co.uk

17 comments:

  1. You're wrong - French exchange students have an appalling dress sense and an inability to get pissed and dance to Green Day when I was a teenager. We did that better.

    Ah, West London. So terribly far from me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so want that sausage and lentils but sadly will have to make do with Isle of Arran fare this Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one of the best two Cassoulets outside of France at Le Vacherin the other being at The Anchor and Hope on a very cold night - in fact we also had beef cheek stew with dumplings as a starter that night but thats another story.

    Great review , by the way and Le Vacherin and sibbling Le Cassoulet in Croydon are worth the detour !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't beat a solid local eh? Brilliant. Well, not that's it's local to either of us. If I'm ever over that way though I will bear it in mind. That tatin needs to be in my belly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sooo wish we had a decent French bistro locally to us...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Review. This place looks great. I love Bistro food, classic filling dishes, and so cheap. I'll be in Paris next week, and will be eating at Bistros every night - except it probably wont be anywhere near a bargain as this, what with the current Euro - £ exchange rate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lizzie - You win.

    Gill - That doesn't sound bad at all! Hope you have a lovely time.

    Gastro1 - Thanks for a kind comment. The Anchor and Hope's cassoulet is very famous, though I haven't tried it. After this meal, Le Cassoulet is definitely on my list!

    Helen - God, if only it were my local! Really is worth the journey, though, especially for the Sunday lunch deal.

    Kavey - Make your views known!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to see you have mastered the focus thing of your camera,now if only you could get the lighting right.....
    Sounds like you hit the Vacherin on a good day...the reason it does not get better ratings is that it is very inconsistent.I have been 4 times.2 were very good.2 were not at all good.So it bats .500,and that makes it too expensive an experience as the cost per satisfaying meal basically doubles.It's a long way to travel for a hit or miss experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dan - You'll have a fantastic time. Can't wait to read your posts about it.

    Barry T. - Thanks very much for commenting. I'll aim to improve the composition of the photos in future :)

    In fairness, there is a caveat hanging over this review: it cost £20 a head. I'm sorry to hear you've had such mixed experiences, though. I've only been here once, and it was a genuinely terrific lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent post. If I may say so, your style has really evolved. Looking forward to the next installment...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice review ,nice clean simple plates beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you have to stay overnight in Chiswick or were you able to get the sleeper back? Nice review - you've certainly made this place sound very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post. I have not visited Le Vach, but I have been to John's two other restaurants - Cassoulet and Fish& Grill. Your assessment is spot-on, the pricing at Lunch is probably better value than the full price ALC/ dinner menu. I do actually think that the full priced menu is slightly overpriced for the quality of cooking on show.

    g

    ReplyDelete
  14. Douglas - Thanks very much! I really enjoy your reviews as well.

    Richard - You're absolutely right. Clean, accomplished, homely food. Divine.

    Andrzej - Haha! No, for anyone in West London it's worth a trip, and I'd cross London to go for the Sunday lunch.

    Genuineness - You could well be right. I'm glad you agree, though, that £19.50 for three courses is an excellent deal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I adore this place (but it's one of my locals!). I've been a few times (always for dinner) and found the cooking quite solid and I've not had a bum meal yet. Gonna go for lunch now!

    (If anyone's interested, it's located right at the last stop of the 94 bus...)

    ReplyDelete
  16. delicious~~
    i truly hope that we can find such tempting cuisine in Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooooh - Cassoulet in Croydon is local(ish) for me, so do let me know if you go and I may tag along.

    ReplyDelete