I've moved to oliverthring.com. You should be linked automatically: if not - click here.

26/10/2009

Seven Park Place, St James's, London [Review]

Seven Park Place

2/5

Just had swine flu. What a mare. One minute you’re trotting around, snouting about London and feeling just swill, and the next you’re on the straw squealing like someone out of Defoe. Last Sunday, I had lunch with relatives (my own), troughing away like a pig in proverbial – but went home with a lardy shiver and encroaching dread. Woke up on Monday feeling someone yanking my eyeballs into my brain while cattle-prodding my temples and heaping bar-bells on my belly.

The worst thing about the pigsick is you’re not sure what it might mean. People laugh at it now in that over-hearty, over-loud, phew-that-was-a-close-one way: they’re saying it’s as hyped as, I don’t know, Cheryl Cole - but then you get it and there’s a gnawing, unpalatable sense that you might, er, die. Anyway, I did the sensible thing and barricaded myself in my room, tanked on Tylenol, watching Haneke films for cheer and solace.

The worst of it’s gone now – thanks for asking – but it’s left me with a cough like a Chinese miner and a throat made of razors and a Victorian bellows. And – sorry if this is a bit TMI but it’s the only way we can syncopate into the next bit – it means I hoik up sputum the colour of -

The sofas at Seven Park Place. Horrid. They’re this emphysemal brown, a not-of-the-newest fish dye, stretching across the fabric like fake tan and a facelift. But their hideousness is as nothing to the rest of the room. ‘Busy’ might be your initial handheld adjective – but it’s much, much worse than that: it’s busier than Peter Mandelson. Some ghastly interior designer has frotted and coiffed everything to within an inch of its life. Arriving, and shrieking inwardly at the décor, I nearly turned tail and fled that instant – all things considered, it might have been better if I had.

Seven Park Place is in St James’s, a part of town I know pretty well but in which, oddly enough, I haven’t reviewed a restaurant before. I went with a mate who works nearby, and walked him back to his office after lunch. Shuddering sights. Taut, frozen brows of termagant wives with Hillary hair and horrible dogs. Porty portlies stumbling out of Boodle’s with pocket-squares askew. Ken Clarke. This is an entitled area with a pinstriped froideur: straitened by recession, though the clubbables and hedgies are siring cash again in back-scratching contentment.

The restaurant occupies a space once held by Andaman, Dieter Muller’s cactus-flower place (pretty, prickly and died a quick death) on the ground floor of a lugubrious ‘boutique’ hotel round the back of The Ritz. The chef is William Drabble, who was at Aubergine for many years (I had my 21st there – not my choice), several of them under Uncle Gordon’s tutelage.

Drabble’s food is Croesus- or Creosote-rich: he’s aiming to poach the chaps from clubland’s ‘coffee’ rooms (which are actually dining rooms) and their Alpine ‘smoking’ rooms, so it’s all heavy, heavy... heavy. Almost everything comes with a superfluous dollop of something thick and gooey, as if some smotheringly munificent milkmaid were at the pass. High-end food so often stumbles at this point: that overkill garnish, that gild on the coulis, creates something much less than the sum of its parts.

For example, this amuse:

A disc of tuna spiked and numbed with Szechuan pepper, some flayed and naughty little tomatoes, a shimmer of basil, cucumber leaves for looks and a blob of avo purée. Perfect. But there's an extra creamy dollop adding nothing – just white superfluous richness, a glob of cloying fat, clottingly, clot-headedly unnecessary.

Similar: langoustine tortellini with roasted cauliflower and truffle butter sauce. (Already sounds subatomically light, no?) It was OK, but underneath it lay this wallpaper paste, this thick pappy swamp of cauliflower purée, as welcome as a sombre vet with a big needle. It’s all, as they say, too much.

There were exceptions. I’ll hymn here an encomium to my grouse, which was the best I’ve had this season (and the last, too) – breasts of blood and earth, in a thunkingly brilliant blackberry sauce, the giblets and legs minced and deep-fried in a breaded puck. But skate wing in black butter was singularly disastrous. Overcooked to rigid repellence and completely underseasoned, it was like chewing on rubbery iron filings, mush and dust in the mouth. My friend sent it back, rightly, and they brought him a good duck confit with orange sauce. Puddings were entirely forgettable, and looked like abstracts you’d buy in Habitat.

In a half-empty restaurant with 30 covers, with aspirations for stars and badges, these pulse-bleeps of triumph and disaster won’t do. There’s altogether too much to criticise at Seven Park Place, too much at fault, too many fundamental errors. At the end, I asked my chum to sum it up. ‘Skate tasted of paper. Loos were quite nice.’



Seven Park Place, St James’s Hotel, London SW1A
Tel. +44 (0)20 7316 1600
See on the Map

Lunch for two, excluding drinks and service, costs £60 - £90

Website


Seven Park Place by William Drabble on Urbanspoon

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like the kind of place that gives fine dining a bad name. Run before you can walk, guys...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my 21st birthday in Aubergine too, and had a stunning meal. Shame this wasn't up to scratch - that decor looks like a visual assault.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might want to check your facts a bit more thoroughly. Billy was never under Gordon's "tutelage".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris - Quite.

    Lizzie - I had a very good meal there too. This one was a surprise, as I'd been expecting good things.

    Anonymous - Thanks for pointing that out. My mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for that Ollie, wonderfully written as ever, and educational too - I've now added termagant, froideur and encomium to my vocabulary, and have spent an instructive morning imdbing Michael Haneke.

    I'm sorry to hear you've been ill, but glad to see that you're back on full flowing form with this review - I find there's a lovely rhythm to your pieces which comes across best when they're read aloud.

    I don't envy you your experience at Seven Park Place. The food sounds not so much disgusting as unimaginatively rich (like George Osborne perhaps?) - the sort of thing a dull and pampered fat child with pretentions to culinary greatness might attempt on Come Dine With Me. And the langoustine tortellini looks to be no more than a sloppy shadow of Pacaud's already underwhelming fish curry from that narrow minded little French place you once wrote about.

    Better luck with your next meal out! May I suggest a trip to Café Bohème next time round? I know that GC wrote a review of the place which was subsequently overshadowed by his quarrels with the subs, but it's still a lovely spot for a boozy lunch on a Saturday, and well worth a visit if you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowsers...Andaman must have lasted all of 18 days or something!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a load of self centered conceited bollocks! I can only thank god that I had to only read this drivel and not share the meal with you.

    What would Drabble know about cooking?, he has only had a Michelin star for just over ten years!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  8. CharlieB - Thanks Charlie for your very kind comment. Cafe Bohème sounds great and I'll be sure to get there as soon as I can.

    Dan - I know! Bizarre, isn't it? The place seems jinxed!

    Steve - Thanks for your fact-packed comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought the first version was the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ate at Seven Park Place with my girlfriend mid October and it was, quite frankly (because I haven't swallowed the latest collins dictionary) the best meal I have ever had. The lamb dish was to die for.

    Agree the decor is a little 'busy', but it ironically 'works'

    I would recommend this restaurant to anyone and get in there quick as I can surely see Drabble gaining a star and the prices inflating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous - Thanks for commenting. Glad you had a good meal. I'm afraid I can't agree with you about the décor: I think it's one of the most hideous rooms in London. It may well get a star, but that says more about Michelin than it does about Drabble.

    ReplyDelete